Welcome to Kent County This rural county with a population of 859 was created in 1876, named after Andrew Kent who died at the Alamo in 1836. The earliest settlers were ranchers since the county’s semi-arid climate and limited potable water supply were more attractive to herdsmen than farmers. Kent County remained attached to Young and Bexar Territories for administrative and judicial purposes until 1892, when its own county government was organized. The original county seat was Clairemont, but in 1952 moved to the more populous Jayton, where it remains today. As with other counties across the state, Kent County Commissioner’s Court partners with the U.S. government and state government through Texas A&M University to support the educational services of Texas AgriLife Extension Service. Mission of the educational organization is to provide quality, relevant outreach and continuing education programs and services to the people. People in Kent County decide what Extension should do for them and guide the planning and delivery of the programs. County Extension Agents – Agriculture and Family & Consumer Sciences – then make practical and relevant the research based information provided by scientists and researchers at Texas A&M and other universities to support these decisions.